I can't say that I have ever been depressed. There have been plenty of times that I have been down and discouraged, but I have never lost command and control or believed the negative thoughts that occasionally blow through my mind. But when I get down, I know the cure. All I have to do is climb into my Land Rover, and suddenly I feel great. Once I get behind the wheel of my Defender, I am instantly transported to the plains of the Serengetti, the mountainous sand of the Arabian Empty Quarter, the Australian outback, and the red rocks of the American southwest. I have owned six Defenders, one for each decade of my life, and I have never felt so good.
1. Realize that you have a treatable condition and that there is hope. People suffering from mood disorders frequently don't realize they have a problem. They struggle with the storm of negative thoughts blowing through their mind, and they don't understand that their state of mind is abnormal. They think that feeling down and depressed is the way their life is supposed to be. They don't know that they can feel positive and enjoy each day. They don't know that there is no limit to how good their life can become. Until they realize that they have a treatable problem, and that there is hope, they will never get better.
2. Reestablish command and control. Either you control your mind, or it controls you. If your mind controls you, if it continually bombards you with chaotic racing thoughts that you don't want to think, if negative and twisted thoughts dominate your mind, then it's time to reestablish command and control. You need to take command of your mind and control the thoughts you find there. If you are trapped in deep depression you may need medication to reestablish command and control so that other types of therapy are effective. If you have a milder mood disorder, you may be able to reestablish command and control without using medication. Cognitive therapy alone may be effective in breaking the back of the negative and depressing thoughts that thunder in your mind.
3. Recognize your cognitive distortions. You must be able to recognize the distorted thoughts that bombard you when you feel negative and depressed. You need to identify your twisted thoughts and call them by name. Depressed individuals must become proactive and take responsibility for the treatment of their depression. When you are able to recognize twisted and distorted thoughts, and call them out by name, you are on your way to winning the battle of the mind. It won't be long before you feel better and your life improves.
4. Reject your cognitive distortions. Once you recognize that your twisted thoughts are abnormal, you can get rid of them. Only the truth can set you free from your cognitive distortions. As soon as you face the facts and reject your abnormal thoughts, you are on the path that leads out of the Land of Depression.
5. Renew your mind with new thoughts. Cognitive therapy is effective because that is the way God designed your mind to work. Your thoughts (cognitions) create your emotions, and when you change the way you think, you also change the way you feel. The Bible says, "Be transformed by the renewing of your mind." The Bible recognizes that you need a new way of thinking. You must establish a program in which you regularly put positive and healthy thoughts into your mind. God gave you a mind, and He expects you to fill it with good things. Each day your job is to fill your mind with good things. One of the best resources you can use to renew your mind is to use positive self-talk found at http://positiveselftalk.com. You can change the way you think and feel by changing what you say when you talk to your mind.
6. Reprogram your mind with a positive operating system. Your mind performs most efficiently when it has a positive operating system. Positive thinking works because it's the natural software for your mind. God made your mind so that it functions best when it's dominated by positive thoughts, and your job is to install a positive operating system.
7. Radically shift your focus to God's love. God's love is the most powerful and most positive force in the universe. When you focus on it and let it into your heart and mind, it changes the way you think and feel, and you receive the power to overcome life's greatest challenges. When your mind is full of thoughts consistent with God's love, your mind is exactly the way God means for it to be. When your heart is full of emotions consistent with his love, your heart is exactly the way God means for it to be.
8. Repeat these steps when you need to regain the high ground in the battle of the mind. Don't let depression create a stronghold in your mind. The war for a positive mind is fought on the battlefield of focus. Use the power of focus to drive depression from your mind and to fill it with positive things. If you really want to have a mind free from depression, nobody can stop you.
Dr. Dave is the Encourager In Chief of the Positive Thinking Network. He believes there are no limits. There are only limiting beliefs. Dr. Dave is committed to make a positive difference in your life. The wheel of change always turns in the direction of what you put into your mind, and Dr. Dave and the Positive Thinking Network have the resources to turn your life in a positive direction. It's time to develop a persistently positive focus so that you can have a consistently positive mind. It's time to change your world.
The best place to go to get your daily dose of positive thinking is The Positive Channel. With more than 500 websites, there is something positive for everyone. The Positive Channel is your definitive source for positive thinking on the World Wide Web. It's where you come to learn everything you want to know about positive thinking. Hundreds of family safe websites are ready to fill your mind with positive things. Thousands of positive graphics and affirmations change the way you think and feel about who you are and what you can do with your life. Positive music lets you hear the sound of your dreams, and positive videos help you visualize your dreams.
Overcoming depression is hard, perhaps the hardest thing you will ever do. But if you want to have a mind free from depression, nobody can stop you. Your emotions are a reflection of your thoughts. When you change your thoughts, your emotions automatically follow. You don't have to battle the negative and twisted emotions echoing in your mind. Instead you need to learn how to change the way you think, and your emotions will naturally take care of themselves. The challenge you face in depression is to change the way you think. If you want to change the way you think and feel, you are going to have to change your inner dialogue. You are going to have to talk to your mind in a different manner. A persistently positive focus creates a consistently positive mind. The battle for a positive mind is fought on the battlefield of focus. In order to break the back of depression, you will have to learn how to persistently and consistently control your mental focus. Zero Tolerance to Negative Thinking is now available in ebook format at Amazon, iTunes, Kobo and Barnes and Noble.
Change first happens in my mind. Whatever I am or ever will be is first found in my mind. In order to have a new life, I need a new way of thinking. Zero Tolerance To Negative Thinking
I can change who I am by changing what I put into my mind.Zero Tolerance To Negative Thinking
Although I can't control all the events of my life, I can control what I put into my mind. I have sufficent control over my mind to shape the outcome of my life in a way that reflects my goals and aspirations.Zero Tolerance To Negative Thinking
I have an infinite number of future lives that I can live, and the way that I run my mind determines which of them it will be.Zero Tolerance To Negative Thinking
No matter how positive my life is, thinking negative makes it worse. No matter how negative my life is, thinking positive makes it better. No matter what happens, I choose to think positive.Zero Tolerance To Negative Thinking
Every problem has a silver lining, and when I solve the problem, I get to keep the silver lining. The more problems I solve, the richer I become.Zero Tolerance To Negative Thinking
When I focus on a thought, I force my mind to look in the direction of that thought. When I consistently focus on it day after day, my life moves in that direction. The focus of my mind expands into my life.Zero Tolerance To Negative Thinking
If I am having trouble getting permission to do the things I want to do, I need to take a look in the mirror. The person in the mirror is the only one who can give me permission to go for my dreams.Zero Tolerance To Negative Thinking
A positive mind is not an accident. It's the product of positive mental focus. A persistently positive focus creates a consistently positive mind.Zero Tolerance To Negative Thinking
I am the only one who can change my life, because I am the only one who can change my mind.Zero Tolerance To Negative Thinking
ADDITIONAL POSITIVE RESOURCES
Maximum Strength Positive Thinking tells you what to say when you talk to your mind, and what to say when your mind talks to you. You have a lot of things to discuss with your mind, and Maximum Strength Positive Thinking tells you what you should be talking about. You don't need to spend years searching for empowering ideas that make it possible to live your dreams. It's already right here in a self-talk format. The Law of Positive Self-Talk states, "You can change who you are by changing what you say when you talk to your mind." If you don't like what you hear when your mind talks to you, you have the power to change the message. Although the wheel of change turns slowly, it always turns in the direction of what you put into your mind. When you fill your mind with positive self-talk and more than one-hundred Power Graphics, your life improves by leaps and bounds. Maximum Strength Positive Thinking is now available in eBook Format at Amazon, iTunes, Kobo and Barnes and Noble. Make your life better today by putting Maximum Strength Positive Thinking into your mind.
The Owner's Manual for Your Mind contains thirty-one Change Principles that empower you to make a life. You no longer worship at the altar of security, content to only make a living. The Change Principles show you how to make a life. Don't timidly tiptoe through life waiting to go for your dreams. You have only one life. The clock is ticking, there are no timeouts, and there is nothing to wait for. Today is the only day you can make your dreams happen. Seize the day. Live as if you are a great person. Renew you mind with positive and empowering thoughts. Achieve excellence in at least one area of your life. Adopt zero tolerance to negative thinking. Don't accept any limitations. Never quit working on your dreams. The Owner's Manual for your mind is now available in ebook format at Amazon, iTunes, Kobo and Barnes and Noble. Don't just make a living. Instead make a life using the thirty-one Change Principles found in Owner's Manual for Your Mind. There are no limitations. There are only limiting beliefs.
God is love and works by love. The power and presence of God in my life is love. Every time I see love, I see God's hand at work. Every time I feel love, I experience God's presence and power. When my mind is full of thoughts consistent with God's love, my thoughts are healthy, and my mind is exactly the way God means for it to be. When my heart is full of emotions consistent with God's love, my emotions are healthy, and they are exactly the way God means for them to be. There is no limit to how good my life can become when I open my heart and mind to the power of His love. God loves and accepts me the way I am, but He loves me to much to let me stay that way. He loves me from the top of my head to the tip of my toes, and it does not get any better than that. For the rest of my life I will max out on God's love. Real Power: Maxing Out on God's Love is now available in ebook format at Amazon, iTunes, Kobo and Barnes and Noble.
Positive Christian Self-Talk is as much about God as it is about you. The self-talk contained in this book is designed to change your life. You learn to think the way that God thinks and speak the way that God speaks so that your self-talk has real power. It's time to get in agreement with God about who you are and what you can do with your life. It's time to speak your new life into existence. Jesus said, "As you believe, so shall it be done unto you." Jesus was talking about positive expectations. You don't get what you want, you get what you expect. It doesn't matter if your expectations are positive or negative, you still get what you expect. If you want positive self-talk to work in your life, all of your self-talk must be forged in the fires of positive expectations. It's time to jump into God's ocean of love and have a life changing experience. Positive Christian Self-Talk points your life in the right direction and gives you the power to make the trip. Positive Christian Self-Talk is now available in ebook format at Amazon, iTunes, Kobo and Barnes and Noble.
Too many people have a false model for change. They try to change their life by trying to change their life, and that is the recipe for failure. They are skipping all the steps that make change possible. Big changes don’t involve tweaks. They involve jumps. This book contains quantum self-talk that you need to have in your mind so that you can make a quantum leap to the next level. One hundred Power Graphics make it easy to put positive self-talk into your mind. The power of positive repetition is immense, and when your mind starts repeating quantum self-talk back to you, hang on tight, because you are ready to make a quantum leap to the next level. You have thousands of quantum leaps to make in your life, and quantum self-talk is a great place to start. Happy quantum leaping. Quantum Self-Talk is now available in ebook format at Amazon, iTunes, Kobo and Barnes and Noble.
Although I like the feel of a paper book in my hand, I love trees even more. When people purchase an eBook, they actually save trees and save money as well. Ebooks are less expensive and have no negative impact on the environment. All of Dr. Dave's books are available at Save A Tree Bookstore. Visit the bookstore today and start putting good things into your mind. It's easy to fill your mind with positive things using eBooks. No matter where you are or what you are doing, you can pull out your smart phone or tablet and start reading. You can even use electronic highlighters and make annotations in your eBooks just like paper books.